The Crossways Book Review!
So it's Tuesday, and today I'm participating in Morgan Elizabeth Huneke's blog tour for her new book, The Crossways. Today's my day to post my review of the book, and my younger brother Ezra is back to share his thoughts as well! :D
Be sure to enter the giveaway (for a free copy of the book), and check out the other lovely blogs on the tour! Also check back here on Wednesday and Friday, as I'll have interviews with Morgan and her character Adriel!Now, before we get to the reviews, a little about the book and the author:
About the Book
“M’lady, it has been fairly well confirmed that the Redona was hidden away by the merfolk at the conclusion of the Great War instead of destroyed as was commanded. My brother has confirmed to me Joseph’s belief that it was concealed at the Crossways.”
Toarna pressed her fingertips together in thought. “It must be recovered and destroyed as was at first intended.”
Emily, Allan, Jill, and Joey have been reunited with their long lost ancestors. But with that reunion comes the true beginning of their quest: free the rightful king of Calhortz so that he may be restored to his throne. The Redona, the only object that can free him from his long imprisonment, is rumored to be concealed in The Crossways, a mountain across the sea which cannot be entered.
A slave since birth, Adriel’s resentment and hatred towards the strytes only grows as his family is continually ripped from him. He longs for the freedom the Time Captives are prophesied to bring, but he doubts their existence, just as he doubts God’s love. Circumstances in Calhortz are so dire. How could they ever improve?
Who can enter The Crossways? Will the king ever be freed? Or will the slaves of Calhortz lose all hope of freedom before it is even offered to them?
The Crossways is the second book of the Time Captives trilogy, a tale of faith, family, fantasy, and a fight for truth and freedom.
About the Author
Morgan Elizabeth Huneke is a homeschool graduate who lives in Georgia. She has enjoyed creating characters and writing stories since early childhood. Her other interests include reading, playing the piano and violin, and politics. She is the author of Across the Stars and The Experiment.
I'm always a little wary of sequels. I mean, let's face it, are subsequent books in a series ever as good as the first? I've been majorly disappointed before, but I'd heard good things about The Crossways, and so I signed up to get an ARC copy for review.
I LOVED it. It is, in my opinion, even better than the first book!
Instead of focusing solely on the Time Captives, we also have parts from Adriel's point of view. We also get chapters focusing on Eleanor, and her life after arriving from our world. I really liked these angles, and felt they added more depth to the story as a whole.
Other things I liked:
Emily- As the oldest sister myself, I could recognize and connect to some of the emotions she was feeling, which were portrayed really well. I also really liked her growth throughout the book.
Twists- There were a few I didn't see coming, and I very much enjoyed seeing where the author took the story with them.
Adriel- I really enjoyed Adriel's storyline, and can't wait to see what happens to him next!
Also, the blending of science and fantasy was super cool :)
The Crossways was awesome! It is amazing how intelligent the mermen were. It’s awesome that the mermen knew what would happen about 100 years in the future. It's sad that if anyone in the royal family tried to leave the island he/she would be fried! I hope the time captives get to go home soon.
Join in the excitement of Time Captives and enter to win a special prize! The first prize winner will receive a signed copy of The Crossways. The second prize winner will receive an eCopy of The Crossways in the eBook format of his/her choice. Giveaway open to U.S. residents only.
Monday, October 19
• Tour Introduction at Morgan Elizabeth Huneke
• Book Review at Girls Living For God’s Glory
• Character Interview at Knitted by God’s Plan ~ Grant Weathersby
• Guest Post at Jaye L. Knight ~ Pirate Character Arcs
Tuesday, October 20
• Book Review at Flights from the Aerie
• Book Review at The Art of Writing For Him
• Author Interview at Writing Anyone
• Guest Post at Bring Your Own Books ~ Time Captives Writer’s Block
• Character Spotlight at Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections ~ Eleanor
• The Crossways Inspirations at Morgan Elizabeth Huneke
Wednesday, October 21
• Book Review at Knitted By God’s Plan
• Author Interview at Flights from the Aerie
• Author Interview at Leah’s Bookshelf
• Character Interview at Reflections of the Heart ~ Jeremy Herb
• Guest Post at Writings, Ramblings, and Reflections ~ An American/Medieval Fantasy Culture
• Character Spotlight at Jaye L. Knight ~ Rae
Thursday, October 22
• Book Review at Scattered Journal Pages
• Character Interview at Bring Your Own Books ~ Eleanor
• Guest Post at In the Character’s Shadow ~ Putting Yourself in Your Characters
• Character Spotlight at Inklings Press ~ Adriel
• Surprise Post at Morgan Elizabeth Huneke
Friday, October 23
• Book Review at Bring Your Own Books
• Author Interview at Scattered Journal Pages
• Author Interview at The Art of Writing For Him
• Character Interview at Flights From the Aerie ~ Adriel
• Guest Post The Overactive Imagination ~ Choosing the Right Point of View
Saturday, October 24
• Book Review at Writing Anyone
• Author Interview at Elvish Pens, Fantastical Writings
• Character Interview at In the Character's Shadow ~ Joseph
• Character Spotlight at Knitted by God’s Plan ~ Jaysen
Monday, October 26
• Tour Conclusion at Morgan Elizabeth Huneke